I had a zucchini sitting around, wanting to become something. The only thing I actually long to eat, most of the time, is breakfast. So the answer was clear: a zucchini tortilla.
However, as often happens when I start making stuff up as I go along in the kitchen, my tortilla became more of a crepe. But that’s fine, because it ended up just as delicious.
Use the basic template I have and then riff from it with whatever you have on hand. I had diced onion and a bit of jalapeno pepper that needed to get eaten so I threw those in.
Top it with whatever you like: an egg is a must if you’re a fan of them. I wanted sliced avocados but I only had guac. That was just as tasty. Shredded cheese and salsa also made it to the final plate. Cilantro would make a perfect garnish, but I was fresh out. I guess it’s time for a grocery run.
Whatever you choose, the recipe is simple. I’ve included the ingredients for 1 crepe, because it’s all about me. But you could easily multiply them. Enjoy!
- 1/2 zucchini, finely shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbsp diced onion
- 1 Tbsp diced hot pepper, such as jalapeno
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 Tbsp oat flour
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder or other seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 egg
- Avocado or guacamole
- Chopped cilantro
- Shred the zucchini and squeeze it in a paper towel to remove the excess water.
- Place into a bowl and add the onion, pepper, egg white, flour, and seasonings. Cook over medium heat in a skillet or griddle sprayed with nonstick spray for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until lightly brown on each side.
- Remove from heat and top with fixings.
- Chopped bacon would be outstanding. I'm always pro bacon. Always.
- Calories: 80
- Carbs: 7g
- Protein: 6g
- Fats: 2g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 1g