When I first heard about making a high protein “frosting” I was deeply suspicious. I love frosting. Especially buttercream. I couldn’t imagine that this topper would actually taste great.
The secret is in the two ingredients: vanilla protein powder and cream cheese. I used Greek yogurt cream cheese but you could substitute lowfat cream cheese and it would be just fine.
For under 300 calories you get a breakfast that packs 28g of protein AND helps satisfy your sweet tooth. Win/win, yes? Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup dry old fashioned oats
- 1 cup water
- pinch salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, divided
- Optional: packet of stevia
- 1 Tbsp Greek yogurt cream cheese
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used True Nutrition Whey Isolate)
- 1-2 Tbsp water or milk to thin frosting
- Bring water to a boil over high heat in a medium saucepan. Add oats, a pinch of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Lower heat to medium and cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Turn off the heat. Add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla, then whisk in egg whites gradually, stirring quickly so they don't scramble.
- While the oats cook, make your frosting. Mix the protein powder, remaining 1/4 teaspoons of cinnamon and vanilla, and cream cheese. Thin with milk or water to make a frosting consistency. Swirl over your oats and eat that up.
- Calories: 280
- 31g carbs
- 5g fat
- 28g protein
- 3g sugar
- 5g fiber